Monday, May 21, 2007

gone are those beautiful days

Of $25 electric bills. The most I ever paid was $45, and that's when the heater was running a lot.

Sigh. Just received my bill for my old place and I will miss those days. The person moving said the lowest she paid was around $250. I have no idea how it can be that much, but there are many energy inefficient things - such as no windows opening, and six lightbulbs per light fixture (none of them energy efficient), that sort of thing.

My plan? Put up a clothesline. Turn down the water heater. Open up some windows. Be gone during the heat of day, and then stoop sit in the early evenings - my porch is in the shade after noon, which is swell. I'll put up weather stripping during winter, and I put up curtains for summer. Replace lightbulbs as they burn out (or as I break them, as I did this weekend) with energy efficient bulbs. Use fans instead of A/C unless I'm miserable. Put up screen doors to air out mornings & evenings.

I know with this apartment being five times larger than my old place, and have dishwasher and washer/dryer, that I'll be paying more electricity. But here's to keeping it under $100.

No comments: