Tuesday, May 22, 2007

morning in the 'hood

Chat with landlord went well - he is cool with fixing up everything while I'm gone. I gave him a list of about 15 things, and he was fine with everything and actually thanked me. I'm only sad I'll miss that hot Honduran handyman when he's working away for me. Landlord continues to seem really cool and concerned about our happiness in the apartments. When I went to drop off my old keys, Landlady was outside so we got to catch up.

Neighborwoman will keep a close eye on my place and be in and out to make it appear inhabited - she's more concerned about it than I am.

This morning when landlord came over, neighbordog Tikkun came over (they crawl under the house to say hello and good morning to me). Later NW and I were talking through the fence and Oly, the other dog, had her head stuck through so I pet and greeted her. NW said, "Wait, can you say hello to Tik, too? She's all sad and keeps trying to get to you to say hi." I like Oly, but Tik is the one who first snuck over to see me when I was very first moving in, and we have that little special bond. These dogs are really, really well-behaved. I know people always say that about Selma and Otter, but Selma is passive aggressive and Otter pretends she's stupid.

My neighborhood is very entertaining. Anytime I feel like I want some human contact I just open up my front door and step out on the stoop. Today the neighbor's granddaughter (she's almost 2) was cracking me up - she's very animated and lively. She runs around shouting excitedly, so I got to chase her around a little for kicks. I met more people and chatted with people walking up the street.

Still haven't started packing and my day is full of work (which I'm ostensibly doing), lunch with Ay and her mom, music with NW & the girls, going to Slidell to drop off my truck and rent a car. And I'm tired - garbage trucks came through early this morning. And I'm eating a chocolate muffin now, so I'll be in a bad mood by this afternoon, and it's getting hot and humid outside. But, still a good day so far.

No comments: