Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Plan Girl-mobile


Or Saboteuse-mobile, as the case may (usually) be.

This is the perfect vehicle for a Superheroine - a green cruiser bike with detachable basket! That it already has fenders and chainguard and basket is super sweet. The only thing it doesn't have that I'll probably get is a light ... but honestly I probably won't bike much at night anyway.

And no comments on how short my legs are. Superheroines come in all sizes, people - we don't all have legs like Lynda Carter.

It kinda reminds me of my grandma's bike - not the evil bitch grandma, but the other one. She had this great old cruiser with baskets that she'd do all her errands with. She had a car but chose to usually bike instead. She was the first person I ever knew like that; though, I must have been really young because she moved and left all that stuff behind. She also taught me about frugality - reduce and reuse (no recycle in Kansas really) - being a bona fide Depression survivor. She was also a really good artist - so despite having repressed all artistic impulses since I was six years old, maybe I could someday get in touch with that. I did learn to quilt, among other things, from her.

So, in her honor, I'll call my bike the Mary Miller. I think hers was blue (again, I was probably only about 6 years old then) but she'd approve of the green - that was the color of the carpet in her old house in Quinter (which is a tiny little western Kansas town, of which I have fond memories but realize it's whacked out - but it is the coolest town name). Hm ... maybe I should call it Quinter. No, sounds too much like quitter.

I've had my truck for 4 1/2 years and haven't named it - and don't get me wrong, I love my truck - but it doesn't really need a name. And as much as I bitch and moan about trying to park the damn thing and drive it in the city, there is nothing sweeter, when trying to move or garden or anything else, than having a truck.

So, Craigslist has done me right again. Though, in full disclosure - the goods I get through CL are always less than perfect. As soon as I got the bike home, the chain was off. I got it back on and I think it'll stay (forcing it into the truck pushed it off), but that was less than promising. And the chair I bought yesterday? Sitting in it is ... well, I sink down. I don't know if the springs are broken or what's wrong, but it definitely doesn't feel or sound "right." So, I'll take some WD- 40 to 'em to see if that kills the noise. It's totally comfortable, and I'll just use it until it really falls apart - and then I think there are furniture fixer places around and it might be worth fixing or maybe not. For now, it'll look good.

[Ha - Ahmed will love this. When I asked the bike chick where she got it, she said she couldn't remember because she looked so many places. So, I just searched. Wal-Mart. Good god. Well, now I know how much she paid and I got a good deal - and since I would never go there myself I got a very good deal.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a bad looking beach cruiser if I must say so myself. How ironic that I visit your blog after several weeks (months whatever) and I see a bike.

Now . . . back to eating my fried rice. (Ha, ha)

Anonymous said...

How creepy. You are on the phone with my wife as I typed the last comment.

Now . . . back to eating my fried rice.