Tuesday, May 15, 2007

all the names in the neighborhood

So I went to the new place today, and here's what I saw:

1. My landlord was there before me, waiting and cheerful about it.
2. Previous tenant left the place really clean - cleaning will be minor rather than thorough. She also left shelves and things which will save me some cash.
3. Workers came to take care of everything in the time between her moving out and me moving in. That's thoughtful, to not have to deal with it later.
4. Landlord introduced me to the workers and treated them respectfully and knew about their lives.
5. Landlord helped me move things in and helped neighbor who has back problems.
6. Lots and lots of light. I need to go get some curtains. After my current hovel, it's heavenly.
7. Sarah and her mom stopped by - to help move stuff in (I'm borrowing her dresser while she's in Ecuador for the year) and they checked it out and definitely approved.
8. Neighbors directly across the street from me waved and called hello when I first arrived, so then I went over and introduced myself later. They were way friendly, and when I asked a girl her name and told her mine, her mother said, "All these [the letter my first name begins with]" listing others nearby with that same initial.

It's all in the neighborhood. I get to belong.

No comments: