Thursday, February 22, 2007

and here begins the sale

... of my soul to the highest bidder.

I submitted 10 applications to the spring interview program for summer jobs - we submit our resumes on-line to our career development center who forwards to the companies who decide whom they want to interview.

Now, going into this I knew my chances were slim to none - nobody not from here gets jobs here unless they have a connection.

Remember, I'm a Yankee. Who the hell is going to hire an old Yankee woman around here?

But I still have to buy a suit. Because a particularly evil, corrupt energy company here (no Michele, I'm not saying they're all evil - I'm saying this one is) preselected me to interview. Only them. So far 7 rejections, them, and 2 rejections in waiting.

Now, don't get me wrong - they pay $25/hour and I would probably take it, particularly because they allow "split summers" and I could go to Liberia the other half. And it's legal experience. And it's here, so I could still do the medical care thing and not pay rent in two places and could have weekends off to do fun things (such as pick blueberries with Tami before her baby comes).

The problem is that I cannot mask my aversion to them. I went to talk oil jobs with one prof and he told me to remove my sneer.

In theory, I could work for Shell. In theory, I could be a good person trying to make the best of a world addicted to fossil fuels.

In reality, the sneer is permanently affixed.

So here it is. I have to go buy an effing suit and I have to wear it to an interview for a job I will not get and which I don't really want. Don't get me wrong - I would take the $7,000 from a company I despise. I just think they're too smart to hire me - they're not like principals who can't see through me.

Added by admin to not selected
Added by admin to not selected
Added by admin to not selected
Added by admin to not selected
Added by admin to not selected
Added by admin to not selected
Added by admin to not selected

No comments: