Tuesday, February 20, 2007

last of the Mardi Gras pics

First came the Walking Clubs today ...



Then came Zulu (sorry so blurry) ...

Yes, they're Black and in blackface ... there's a story behind it but don't get me started on the racism here. Not today.



A Zulu float ...

Unfortunately I didn't get any more Zulu pics.
This is a pic from yesterday - cracked me up how people had their whole area staked out like this. They rented the apartment across the street and said we were more than welcome to use the restroom there or eat from their kitchen, etc. True southern hospitality. That's why I'm still here.

And this is my apartment.
Just kidding. But I walked past this today and had to take a pic. Too many places like this still - clearly were really beautiful places before, but now destroyed beyond repair. As I walked past a woman walking the other way said, "They sho need to tear that down."
Mmm hmmm.
I've fallen completely in love with a house on the backside of the Red Cross parking lot - it's got the New Orleans architecture and is a beautiful red color. Unfortunately the neighborhood is pretty much abandoned so pretty unsafe. But, it's walking distance from that yummilicious gumbo.
Words cannot express how badly I want to own a house here. How much I want to fix it up and be a proud New Orleanian for real.


So, next year, here's what I need to do.

First, more parades. More loot.

More friends visiting. Tiff, I'm here about two more years, and after that I don't know. Don't wait! Come visit!

Definitely find the Mardi Gras Indians.

See the truck parades.

Drink during Carnival. Which means don't drive.

Volunteer again.

Stay away from tourists near Bourbon.

Rent a child to solicit more loot.

Take more pictures (can't do when collecting loot).

Don't even plan to get schoolwork done. Guilt can come on Ash Wednesday.

No comments: