Sunday, February 11, 2007

Plan C

Thanks to my Mississippi friend Amelia, a new idea emerges. Her favorite place on the planet because of "really, really spectacular people."

Clarksdale, Mississippi.

Who doesn't know why? Are you AMERICAN?! That's the crossroads, baby - where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil, the true birthplace of the blues.

And I love New Orleans jazz in a way I never thought possible, but the blues, well, they speak to me deeply.

I can go to the Delta Blues Museum and then stay at Shack Up Inn:
"If you want something more down to earth, try digging up the roots of the blues in Clarksdale, Miss., home of the Delta Blues Museum. “Here in Coahoma County, we have a rich history with musicians like Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters, who were born or lived here,” says Bill Talbot, innkeeper and co-owner of the wryly named Shack Up Inn.
Accommodations are a “six-pack” of shotgun shacks slightly renovated and furnished with mismatched furniture and a potent dose of memorabilia. Once tenements for sharecroppers, today’s tenants are more likely to be blues-minded tourists from far-flung places such as Japan, South Africa, and Latvia.
In addition to soaking up history, tourists can drink in live music at the Commissary, the on-site club that’s a remnant of its former identity as a plantation, and at actor Morgan Freeman’s juke joint called Ground Zero.
Rates start at $50 and, in a true show of Southern charm, you’ll find a Moon Pie on your pillow when you check in. For details, call (662) 624-8329 or log on to www.shackupinn.com."

Damn. I need a month for my spring break! Maybe next winter break I need to stick around here - three weeks of playtime.

Yup. Breaking up with what's-his-face is just sounding better and better. Moonpie on my pillow or mosquitos? Blues or grief? Driving six hours or flying 24?

I'm at the crossroads myself now baby.

No comments: