Monday, February 26, 2007

thyroidville

My heartrate has accelerated out of normal range - resting it's usually 90-100 now. "Normal" is about 70 - and mine has always been lower than that (I am a marathon walker after all). It never gets below mid-80's, and I check it compulsively (right now it's 94). it's also not always regular. And my chest hurts.

And otherwise, I feel generally out of sorts. Now I can really tell that my body isn't doing well. I was ready to call the doctor and see if I could get either radio-iodine or surgery over spring break.

But then I start doing more research.

First of all, I am *not* the only overweight, hyperthyroid person. In fact, it's not uncommon. Nobody knows for sure exactly why, but "experts" think what I think - that the thyroid hyperactivity increases hunger dramatically. In me it does. Sometimes I eat fast food, enchiladas, chocolate cake - high fat, high calorie foods - because it's the only thing that makes me not hungry. I get so hungry that I can't function, and nothing "healthy" takes the edge off it. The only way I can eat "healthy" is to eat constantly. And all this while my metabolism is significantly lower? ARGH! Losing weight is a losing battle - and for me it really doesn't matter much if I'm exercising 10 hours a week or not.

And more on that - people who get treated for hyperthyroidism gain weight - most of them at least 8 pounds a year for the indefinite future. Most at risk? People who were overweight before treatment. The doctors told me that I wouldn't gain weight; in fact, things would even out better. That's just not true from what I read - and it doesn't make any sense.

AND - there's no guarantee that I'll feel better after the treatment. All sorts of people never get quite "right" - and once you've killed your thyroid, it's gone.

I have no idea what to do, and it's very frustrating.

So I can kill my thyroid and balloon up to 300 pounds and face all those obesity problems. Or I can try to ignore my heart pounding in my chest so loud it distracts me just like I ignore all the work I need to do. I just wish I could ignore hunger like that.

Maybe I'll email her and ask her if I can get a prescription for beta blockers - maybe that will help. I just don't want my heart to explode - that would be quite bad for my future.

2 comments:

tiff said...

OK I scanned for a post that I really had something to add to but alas I came up short. I had been thinking of you since Britney Spears decided to copy your fashion style, no not the whole "photograph me with no underwear" thing, but the shaved head look. That was one that turned a few heads in rural Alaska. My real motivation for posting a comment was not to get everyone to visualize you in your new suit sans underwear but to let you know that Tiff has deemed you cool enough to have a link off our blog. So...that's the real message we are linked.
-Rick (had to use Tiff's account)

Anonymous said...

You could go to a Chinese doctor!!! A whole lot cheaper and way more effective. Want to hear my lecture again?? -Lara