Thursday, February 15, 2007

another cause

I really do try to restrain myself from picking fights with administrators. It helps that I like our dean now, and that he's kinda scary (he'd kick my ass in a courtroom without any doubt). And, while things aren't perfect of course, overall I'm pretty damn satisfied with my experience at First Choice Law School - and most of the things that I'm not really happy about are outside administration's realm of influence.

But I've started. Because I'm [insert name here].

The Dean of Academic Affairs sent some notice of saferide out, and I responded with a mention of a symposium happening soon on US-Middle Eastern communication. I'm freakin sick and tired of people's ignorance. Just the other day at an international law student meeting, a career counselor whose entire focus is international said we needed serious counseling if we even considered a career in the Middle East. WTF is that? At least one guy there is apparently Iranian. And the Middle East rocks. Shut up. And my classmates sometimes make little comments slip. Our writing assignment is about a Sikh man coming back from Pakistan and somebody actually said to me, "He should be racially profiled as Middle Eastern. They're all the same, and they're terrorists." Yeah, of course I let her have it - but how many people think these things without saying them aloud to me, the thought police?

ANYWAY, this dean posted it, which is good. And she said she's disturbed I've heard negative comments (I said ignorant, which is differnet) and if I want to talk to her she invites me.

So I replied that what I'd really like to talk to her about is the cloud of noxious gas I have to walk though to get to class. Smoking is allowed at all entrances, and there is no way for me to get inside the law school without exposure to cigarette smoke - it's nasty. And I think it affects my allergies, especially because it also comes inside to the first floor hallway, where my locker is. And it's unfair that we nonsmokers are punished because others have disgusting addictions. (Michele, K better not be a smoker! I like it better when you don't smoke!!)

Funny, haven't heard back from her yet.

I don't want this to be My Cause, because I'm saving that up for when I have a brilliant idea to desegregate students racially. And I'm a little worried that she'll make me talk to the main Dean, who smokes like numerous Detroit chimneys and is frequently found huddling outside the door with his nicotine delivery instrument. Like I said, he'd kick my ass and probably get me to start smoking.

I signed up for the horseback-camping thing today, which is two weeks away. Got a couple guys in my Property class interested, though one said he wanted to bring his girlfriend and they won't allow non-students. Him I know a little and he's super nice and I like him. The other guy I've never talked to before but he's friends with first guy and he sounded interested too. Sarah, a 2L, says she went on one of the trips last year and had a great time but it was a lot of 18-year-old freshmen, so I'd like a little more balance. And they both have never ridden horses before, so that would be cool for them. And they both thought my Jetboil sounds super cool and encouraged me to bring it.

Yeah, that's all it takes for me to like you. Admire my gear.

No comments: