Wednesday, February 07, 2007

how to better waste my time

Our Career Development Office has a spring interview program, which is a way for us to interview with potential employers.

Here's what they didn't tell us, but I found from digging around the sites.

Most large law firms hire about 25 total summer associates - both 1 and 2L. All these firms also interview at the very best law schools. My law school isn't even in the top 20 of law schools in the nation, and it's only barely a Tier 1 school.

How much of a waste of my time is a cover letter? Huge. Sucks. I, unlike most law students, know enough math to figure out those odds.

BTW, maybe scoring significantly lower on my LSAT than expected was a blessing. If I'm finding THIS law school hard, I don't know how I would have made it at a law school with a smarter student body.

I can sit here and watch CBS reruns over and over again for about as much good in finding a law job as sending out these resumes and cover letters.

No comments: