Tuesday, February 06, 2007

snotty people

Every so often something jars me into remembering who my classmates predominantly are - from wealthy southern families. A WORLD away from what I know.

One of my classmates, whom I like, lives near me. We were talking and I asked how much rent she pays. $1400/month, which her parents pay most of. That's how much the mortgage on my house was, and I had two roommates paying part of it. I can't even imagine paying that.

Then today she and a couple others and I were chatting and she said she loved our closed memo assignment - snotty people gossiping and fighting over stupid crap in a divorce just to be petty. "I worked in the public defenders office and realized - I don't understand the people there. But these gossipy snipy snotty people - that's what I know, so it's where I'm comfortable."

Her boyfriend's father is paying for his law school - which is upward of $50,000/year.

WHO THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE?

Like I said, I like her - she's a genuinely nice person. But she's also honest about her comfort level. And now suddenly I understand so much more about her - the pearls she wears and how extremely thin she is. It's about style over substance where she comes from. I feel sorry for her.

2 comments:

Gummy said...

...and compare that to the kids we were teaching in Riverside...! O_o

Daniel said...

This is where ethics force you to remove the life force out of the likes of these kind of people so that they may not harm anyone else.