Friday, February 02, 2007

stupid show

There are things I like about Men in Trees, but I'm about done. Why?

"There's a little airfield in Sitka. I'll send a plane."
"I'm driving to Sitka."

UGH. There's a real airport in Sitka with real planes, thank you very much. And it's on an island with 18 miles of road. Nobody can drive to Sitka unless they're in Sitka. Don't mention my town if you're stupid and don't know jack.

And now, there was the stupid joke about, "I'm his father." "Biologically?" because Buzz is black and Patrick is white. That just bugs because I get it with Cece.

Anyway, this will be shocking to anybody who knows me, but I have been known to argue with men in authority. Here's how PAP expected class to go today.
PAP: "Can you think of any examples of when laws have changed how people think?"
Classmates give examples that he ridicules such as Prohibition.
PAP: "How about Brown v. Board of Education? Do you think that has had an effect on how people think about racial issues?"
Long pause where we ponder his brilliance and nod our heads at his profundity.

Instead, it went something like this:
In that long pause where we pondered, I waited a couple seconds before I let out a sharp, "NO." His head whipped around, looking for who would dare speak out of turn without raising their hand. "Really? What about-"
"Schools are more segregated than they were then. If Brown was about social change, it failed."
"Well, but what about racism in general? Don't you think things are better?"
"I would looooove it if that were true. But it's not."
"Really? You see Klan members walking around in hoods now? Things were very bad then."
"Things were more overt then. Racism has a different face now."

Yeah, this was Property class which had nothing to do with it. I'm the troublemaker, but I wasn't going to give him a lecture at the time; I'll just bring up things for his Texas mind to think about. I'm not going to school the man, clearly, but I'm not letting him get away with shit I know ain't true because I used to be a true believer and now I know better. He wants to talk education politics, he better bring the big guns.

Poor man. I just need to always wear a T-shirt that says, "You SO do not want to go there with me."

He looks forward to the days I will miss class, I have no doubt.

And completely unrelated - because while he may have been the very top of his law class, I am not - starting associate salaries at the most prestigious firms are now $160,000. I'm not at Yale and I'm not top 5% of my class, so it's irrelevant. But it makes me say HOLY SHIT. If I made that much money, I'd have my debt paid off in about two years and still drive a Benz.

And if I keep sitting on my couch and blogging, that situation of unemployed crappy grades will never change.

No comments: