Saturday, February 10, 2007

spring break

I just sent a plaintive cry to Michele, begging for a fun spring break. Michele and me paddling off Baja would be a great trip that we would laugh about for years to come.

I'm getting a really sweet tax refund. With it I could make three trips to Africa, including all expenses, or I could live in NOLA for the summer and meet all my expenses as long as I'm pretty frugal. I could even pay rent here for the summer and meet all my expenses interning in Africa both. (Which might be my strategy - if I find a really great apartment I should snatch it.) Or, I could pay $400 more a month next year for rent. (Of course I could also use it to pay part of my $42,000 borrowed per year - but that would just be silly.)

OR ... I could go on a totally killer spring break. Thailand? Kenya? Peru? Come on, Michele!

Of course I should really stick around here. And there are a ton of things to do around here - I could go to Alabama to see Kim, go to historic sights around, go up to Natchitoches and see Ahmed (or use his hotel room when he's not there), go to the World Championship Crawfish Etoufee Contest. I could study and get my hair cut and work out daily. I could cook healthy food and prepare my oral argument of the appellate brief. It would be really good to be here and work on exam prep, since I do want to do better this term. I could also do lots of volunteer work.

Or I could go back to Baja and kayak and camp on beautiful beaches and pee in the intertidal zone. (By then, I wouldn't be radioactive anymore.)

It's five weeks away. What shall I do??

The only real reason I believe I can actually seriously think about sticking around town is that I'm done with class in April and exams early May. Seven weeks after spring break is over I'll be someplace else probably. And who am I kidding - trans-oceanic travel in coach kicks my ass. I was tired after this last trip for a couple weeks. The last thing I need is to start the semester exam home stretch exhausted and drained.

So, I tell myself to stick around here, but when have I ever been good about sitting still?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I WANT to GO GO GO .. but there is the reality... of SCHOOL.... damn - NEXT YEAR... we are gonna do a big TRIP-- something exotic.. something wild!
:)
M