Sunday, February 11, 2007

Spring Break Plan B

Myakka River State Park in Florida. I can hike in to camp (yay, backpacking!), get a fun Saturday eve fireside chat and Sunday morning birding. I can rent a kayak to toodle around the swamps - getting eye-to-eye with alligators. (Um, yeah, I remember the Eskimo roll.) I've never kayaked alone, and I don't think I've ever backpacked without Selma. So, a little spooky, but still sounds much fun.

But, maybe I should have stolen one of those dogs today. A big ferocious one to protect me at a remote campsite. Who am I kidding? I sign in at the ranger station there, my truck will be left there, and if I don't return they'll come out looking for me. Unlike here, where they just found a guy who died in his house during Katrina and people just thought he evacuated and didn't come back.

And yes. I'm writing. Just finished a rough draft. And it's very, very rough. But a few hours tomorrow evening and a few hours Tuesday evening, and it should be spic-span shape for Wednesday.

I didn't get my Contracts outline done this weekend like I wanted, but oh well. I'm sure my study-buddy didn't either - her attitude is worse than mine. I got to have fun this weekend, serving coffee while dancing to a band covering ALL the southern bands (I didn't know there were so many - Lynyrd Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels Band, Georgia Satellites, Allman Brothers, etc.) I know, I know. I'm not supposed to really like the south. It's supposed to be all about racism and Civil War victory fantasies (it is known as the War of Northern Aggression) and vapid southern belles. But darn it, I like it here.

I looked at a map and thought, hm, I can drive down to Florida for a weekend in the swamp and then up to Savannah to find that damned Garden (literary reference) and then over to Atlanta to hit REI and Ikea and then back here. But that might be a lot of driving and $$, and I'll get further behind in studying and won't get any NOLA sightseeing/volunteering done. Maybe I'll save those for next break.

I do wish somebody wanted to go do fun stuff with me, but oh well. I only have gear for one. For one and a Selma. It would have been so fun to have her there today at the parade, all prancing around in some fun costume. OK, maybe Otter would have been the prancer. But those girls would have had a BLAST! Hundreds of butts to sniff!

No comments: