Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lenten season

yes Gail, to answer your question, refined sugar is off the table, except for jam which I'm temporarily allowing to get me by.

I am doing baby steps. I have some decaf coffee left and half and half, so I'll drink that until it's gone. And I'm drinking regular tea, though preferring green and herbal.

The basic rule is - nothing from a vending machine. Which isn't hard - I've used a vending machine maybe three times since I got here. Actually my diet is pretty good - I normally eat lots of fruit/vegs and always lots of whole grains. Just, now, no baked goods, candy, chocolate, and no coffee. Shouldn't be too hard, though I'm not usually thrilled with denial.

Then once I've gotten over those cravings, I'll move to cutting portion size further. The thing is, I eat a lot of things like broccoli stirfry with brown rice - so even though it's healthy, when I eat enough it's still high-cal. And I don't know what to do about a hyperactive appetite on a hypoactive metabolism. My body wants far more calories than it handles - and I'm not talking junkfood usually, though sometimes I really crave junkfood because it's the only thing that can make me not hungry anymore. So, I'll need to be really good with regular snacks.

I just wonder - if I purge sugar & caffeine from my body, will that positively affect my thyroid function? I figure it's worth a shot. There's four weeks until my next appointment, so plenty of time to be cleansed. And no colonics for me! Ew.

1 comment:

tiff said...

Purge Baby...purge!

I have a sneaky suspicion that your body will feel better w/o the refined sugar and caffeine poisons...I had rid myself of refined sugar...and guess what...I had way more energy...but I how I love it so...it is back in my diet(just not daily)! hee:) As for caffeine...no way...I am a one pot a day...and if I could I would drink more...but I need to sleep at night!

You impress me!

hugs,
tiff:)