Sunday, February 18, 2007

red beans and rice

We talked all day at the Red Cross station about Louisianan food - jambalaya, red beans & rice, gumbo, seafood, crawfish etouffee, etc. etc.

So I stopped at Orleans Seafood on the way home. A converted Taco Bell. As I pulled into the parking lot I saw lots of people, all African American, so figured it was good.

I walk up the counter and notice everybody behind the counter is Asian. I'm so disoriented I can't get any further than noticing that while the special is red beans and rice with sausage or pork chops or fried chicken (can't get any more southern than that, unless there were greens on the side), most of the menu is Chinese. And the people working are all Vietnamese. And the tables all have a roll of paper towels on them in lieu of napkin dispensers.

I love this city. Always pushing what I expect. And the red beans and rice aren't bad.

No comments: