Tuesday, February 13, 2007

cain't hurt us no more

Tornadoes hit this morning.

Standing in line at the post office (where I spend the best hours of my life), regular customer asked postal clerk who always has hot pink Bluetooth on her ear if she suffered any damage. "Cain't hurt us no more," was her reply.

Kick a people when they're down? Sheesh. I've heard of one fatality, several injuries, quite a bit of damage. Stoplights out on several major thoroughfares and a major university cancelling classes until at least noon, until they can get power. Red Cross is setting up shelters, First Responders were in at 4:00 am.

I read in the newspaper yesterday, insurance industry calling for federal disaster relief fund - citing that 70% of all people in the US live in a high-danger area. I always have. Alaska we've got earthquakes and tsunamis, California earthquakes, Kansas tornadoes, etc. So why is there so little compassion? Why is there not a sense of "There but for the grace of God, go I?"

No comments: