Thursday, February 01, 2007

he looked at me

PAP (Pretty Adequate Professor, formerly known as Pompous Ass Professor) walked in to class today and first thing, looked up to see if I was there.

Now, I have been (justifiably) accused of thinking that I was the center of the universe before, but this was unmistakable. Maybe because I'd told him I'd miss some classes, leave early, that sort of thing. But it was strange. A class of at least 100 people, and first thing he does is look at me.

And he was in rare form today, picking apart people's arguments because they are all such MORONS. I just mean that because they keep saying, "In my opinion" and "I think." He started class by telling us the point is to get past personal feelings to underlying reasons to use with a jury - does nobody listen to him? I heard myself almost answer, "I think ..." because his question was, "What do you think?" But I wasn't going into his trip, and dammit I was going to find brightline law and he wasn't going to stop me - and he didn't. He corrected my facts (I read the case two weeks ago - I don't remember!) but he didn't rip me apart. Good boy. We have a private chat scheduled for Monday, so I'm interested to see what kind of person he is one-on-one. I think he's just an ass in front of a group because he's insecure.

I went to see my writing instructor with a stupid-ass question and she was way cool. She told me - AGAIN - that I did really well on my open memo assignment. 86 is not really well, and I told her to stop saying it. But we also chatted about the weather and such, which is very out of character with her. She's concerned that the malaise is so widespread so we conjectured causes. I am really not alone in my apathy and such now - almost everybody is in my boat. I really need to snap out of it (I say for the millionth time).

I just got email that there's a basic French class twice a week all semester on Tuesday/Thursday evenings which starts tonight. It might be good. I had a million other things I was going to do tonight, such as type up succession documents, but I would probably plug into cbs.com/innertube anyway. I'm exhausted. I ran across the Commercial Business District today, getting from my succession volunteering to Fair Housing to make a rental phone call for them. (It's cool - they record me I have to be all official about it, stating name, date, time, number dialed, etc.) Then I ran back and jumped in my truck and drove like a maniac back home and then nearly ran to class, making it just in time.

But mostly I'm exhausted because I was wrapping up Amazon orders until after midnight because I didn't start early enough.

I have my endocrinology appointment next week on Thursday and Friday, thank goodness. My heartrate has been very accelerated lately which has me nervous.

OK, some work now. Really.

1 comment:

bellygrrrl said...

Okay, maybe it's time for a fresh perspective on grades. What about thinking of them in terms of the whole scale (0-100) instead of The [Your Name Here] "acceptable" scale (98.6774548 - 100+)?
This would mean treating an 86 as a solid score, considering the ground you could have lost. If a president won an election with 86% of the vote, it'd be considered a enormous sweep. If you were given an 86% chance to live, those would be excellent starting odds to run with. Seriously, it seems like a decent foundation for your first semester at 1st-Choice U.